Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Read / Write Web

Two things.
First, I'm going to work really hard over the course of the next few weeks to become a more efficient consumer of information. I think bogging and Web 2.0 can really open some doors for students teachers and administrators.

Second, I found an article in a print magazine (i.e. magazine for a free subscription http://education.smarttech.com/ste/en-US/Community/I.E.+Magazine/Subscribe.htm). The article addressed Social technologies offered by Web 2.0, blogging and school administration. The article looked at administrators who are using "social" networks of blogs to find out what others are doing to address various concerns. I really liked the idea. Another important point raised by this and other articles in the magazine is that administrators need to lead by example more with often with regard to technology. I think it would be easier for a teacher to go out on a limb with regard to blogs and wikis if there were a few administrators out there.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I like the idea of administrator support. Blogs and/or Wiki's could really help teachers with collaboration...they wouldn't have to work in isolation.

The idea that someone could ask you a question which would make you think and reflect on an action is mind boggling.

Natalie's Google Account said...

I believe that if the administrators supported blogging by blogging themselves those of us so inclined would join in. I would also like to see time set aside to help develop blogs. I don't mean taking a few minutes after school one day to zip through it, but some dedicated time where teachers and teams of teachers could collaborate ideas and build a comfort level with setting them up for their classrooms. Maybe even a blog pilot program where some teachers and teams of teachers develop them for their classes and reflect on the process...

Steve said...

Time is one thing that is limited. That is true for most PD activities. I'm thinking of using Blogs to extend the time available for PD activitiy.