Sunday, June 3, 2007

Memories, Moonbeams and Wikis

I heard a wonderful quote watching the movie By the Sea. If you haven't seen it, it is a great flick. I picked the quote up the first time it was said, and they come back to it later in the movie.
"Memories are like moonbeams - you make them what you want them to be."
I just thought it was such a neat concept, and it is so true.

I think that the quote also fits technology and some of our struggles. I was reading a discussion on Carlene's blog about some one's reaction to wikis. There is so much out there that terrifies so many different stakeholders - particularly educators. I'm reminded of Saber tooth Curriculum. Are we so caught up in accurately teaching fish grabbing that we're blind to better ways to catch a fish. I love that book! The only group out there that seems totally comfortable with technology are the kids. Just about everyone else out there needs to be shown how useful technology can be.

I think that it is our job to 1) begin to learn how to use as much as we can, 2) use it effectively and 3) share it with as many folks as we can. As we do this and more and more people do this, I think the walls (firewalls) will start tumbling down.

As I get deeper into Will Richardson's book, Blogs, Podcasts and Wiki's, I find myself beginning to try more and more of these features. To me, this is a world that needs to be explored. I realize that there are others out there who only see the dangers of the jungle. Funny how in spite of how far we've come, the problems really haven't changed that much.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to edit the HTML for this page? I want to add a bunch of links and there has got to be a better way than adding them one at a time.

Steve

3 comments:

Pete said...

when you are creating your posts click on the edit html tab a tthe top of the post window. This will show you the HTML code that it is creating as you type. You should be able to copy and paste your links in there.

Hope this helps (and works).

Kevin S said...

Drawing a parallel between Saber Tooth Curriculum and teaches and technology today is apropos. I recently had a conversation with a teacher at my school, and she indicated that she was “going to get tougher on kids next year when it comes to iPods, video games,” etc….. I don’t think that many teachers realize that kids today can listen to someone talk with one ear, listen to music with the other ear, and keep and eye on a chat session – all while doing class work. Teachers today still want all the students sitting in neat little rows, with their eyes on them or on some lame overhead. Preposterous!

I wish more administrators would avail themselves of the ITS cohort – or similarly situated programs. At least we are learning a new way to fish.

Steve said...

Kevin - I hear you. I wonder, if we required kids to use them for educational purposes too, would they still be such an issue. Believe it or not, I've found myself in the situation where I had to suspend kids over these "toys." Not such a great feeling.