Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Blogging

As we began looking at a few of the ideas discussed tonight, I quickly began to see how useful blogs can be. I currently maintain an e-mail database and send a daily e-mail to provide parents with daily announcements. We could easily shift the process over to an on-line blog. I think it would be possible to create sections for key areas, sports, clubs, other areas as well. This would target the message to specific groups. Parents could look for the information or scores that they are interested in. It could be modified by the group / teacher etc who is posting the message. This would make the information more available and current. It would also create a record of announcements. I like the idea. Would we need to train the parents to use web 2.0?

Carleen mentioned using a blog a way for teacher to communicate. I think that this would create a great format for teachers to use to discuss content and instruction. I might try to set up one or two to see if we can get a our teachers talking / blogging during the summer. I think we have quite a few teachers who would find the discussion stimulating. We'll see.

I think I will also try to use blogs to post a syllabus and create a place for classes to reflect. The uses are really endless.


5 comments:

Wantok said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wantok said...

hey steve, I think I liked your original blog format better, but this one's ok, too.
So you have some great ideas for using blogs as management tools. That's very practical, but don't you think we should develop our lessons around using blogs as a learning environment to "negotiate meaning" or whatever? I'm having a hard time coming up with more than just using blogs for journal writing. I know there's got to be something way more creative than that, though. Perhaps, being a fellow anglophile, you could provide some insight?
BTW, I love that I get to be the first to post comments on your blog.

Steve said...

As for additional uses, one use is just what we are doing now. I've posted a thought. It could be about writing, a book, or anything. You responded and asked a question that takess the discussion to a different level. At the same time, we could be engaged in a wide range of discussions. Using RRS, we can easily keep up with the discussion.
The trick may just be to find a place to focus the discussion.

Kevin S said...

It appears that there was a post that was deleted. So, wantok, you might not have been the first post. Hate to burts your blobble:-O{

Now, I forgot what I was going to blog.... I had to read your post. I had to make some sense of what it meant. Meaning was negotiated (even if it was just between a few of my active brain cells).

Here is a creative use of blogs: kindly navigate to this link http://blogs.gettyimages.com/creative/

here you can discove all things "helvetica." How more creative does it get?

Kevin S said...

I'm revisiting some blogs. It occured to me that using a blog as a "feed" to parents who subscribe would be ideal. This way, when the student leaves the school, or graduates, it is incumbant on them to unsubscribe.

This would save countless hours of mindless work. Good Thinking.